George Goodykoontz, II (Gutekunst) and his wife Mary built this two-story frame house in 1841. The earlier home had been surrounded by a high stockade to protect it from Indian attacks. As a Confederate supply depot in the 1860’s the home was attacked by local outlaws which resulted in damage to the front door that is still visible today. The last Native American seen in “this section was shot from the front of the house.”
Article written here by Robert Goodykoontz (introduced by William Goodykoontz).
Description of the history of the house from various Floyd Press articles can be found here.